To quote a previous client, I am a “gentle, yet powerful presence” in the birth space and I hold your wants and needs front and centre. With me, what you see is what you get; honest, comprehensive, down-to-earth, no bullshit education and support. I have a big box of doula tools and can hip squeeze, rebozo, and all of those things we expect a doula to do. But, my magic lies in helping you to arrive at birth feeling calm, confident, and ready; we’ll do the work in the lead up, so that you are able to surrender to the process.
let’s get real from the get-go
I absolutely want you to have a kick-ass, incredible, and positive birth, BUT I can’t do the work for you. I wish I had a magical superhero cape that would make everything fabulous all of the time, but alas I am just as human as you are. So, I want you to understand that if you employ me as your doula:
- I will support you through your decision making, but I won’t make decisions for you.
- I will encourage you to do your research, and can help point you in the right direction.
- I will support your partner to support you, and I will not take the place of your partner (I will support you both).
If you are securing me as your birth doula, I also want you to undertake the Hypnobirthing Australia™ Childbirth Education Course. Why? Because I have seen firsthand (and experienced firsthand) the positive difference it makes. Not keen on doing this? That’s okay! I am happy for you to attend another type of quality independent childbirth education course (let’s chat about this), or I can help you secure another doula who is better suited to your needs. No worries! Or, if you’re just seeking a little extra support in the lead up to your birth, I am happy to work with you for one-on-one sessions (think birth plan preparation, relaxation tools session, or just helping you navigate your way through. Feel free to contact me to discuss all of your options.
why have a doula?
In a review of twenty-two trials involving 15,288 women, Hodnett et al concluded the following:
“Women who received continuous labour support were more likely to give birth ‘spontaneously’, i.e. give birth with neither caesarean nor vacuum nor forceps. In addition, women were less likely to use pain medications, were more likely to be satisfied, and had slightly shorter labours. Their babies were less likely to have low five-minute Apgar scores. No adverse effects were identified. We conclude that all women should have continuous support during labour.”
what can you expect?
As your doula, I will first and foremost respect your choices. I will also (at your request):
- help you to find information and resources so you and your partner can make informed birth choices;
- assist you in preparing your birth preferences;
- help you to ease any fears and concerns you may have leading up to your birth;
- assist you with tools for Optimal Maternal Positioning (to help with comfort, and to make space for baby);
- provide physical and emotional support during your birth;
- provide hypnobirthing support in the lead up and during your birth;
- provide support for your partner;
- provide post-birth support in breastfeeding, baby wearing, mothering, and I’ll even fold your washing (I am happy to do all of the things to make your transistion to motherhood as smooth as possible).
As your doula, I will not:
- provide any medical advice. All medical discussions are to be had with your GP, midwife, or obstetrician. Having said that, I am always happy to discuss medical options with you and to assist you in sourcing information and resources so that you can make informed decisions;
- make choices/decisions for you.